Wednesday 28 October 2015

Review: J. R. R. Tolkien

By Thomas Clark, aged 8


The Hobbit

J. R. R. Tolkien is my favourite author. I loved reading The Hobbit when I was seven. The Hobbit is about a hobbit called Bilbo Baggins. When a wizard comes he finds himself whisked away on an adventure with 13 dwarves to restore the Lonely Mountain.

Rating: ★★★★★

Mr Bliss and Roverdandom

I liked Mr Bliss. It wasn’t as good as The Hobbit and I read it through in one evening. Mr Bliss is about one man’s crazy day. He’s even got a pet called a girabbit!


My Mum read Roverandom to us at bedtime. Roverandom is a dog who gets turned into a toy dog by a wizard. The book is about him going to the moon and under the sea. Both these books are short stories that Tolkien wrote and illustrated for children.

Rating: ★★★★

The Lord of the Rings

I like The Lord of the Rings but it was hard to read. Hang on a second, why didn’t I think of that before? Oh yeah ... it’s because it’s an adult book. Aragorn, Pippin and Frodo are my favourite characters. And I like the way Legolas and Gimli talk and argue.

Rating: ★★★★★

The Father Christmas Letters

Christmas 2014 was when Mum read to us The Father Christmas Letters, which were funny. They are a collection of letters that J. R. R. Tolkien wrote to his children each year, pretending they were from Father
Christmas.

Rating: ★★★★

Tolkien had four children (three boys and a girl) and their names were John, Michael, Christopher and Priscilla) and some of these stories were written for them. And lots of other children like them too, including me!

No comments:

Post a Comment